Another Wood Slat Project & a Little Cricut Cutting for the Door

Another Wood Project

 After completing my first wooden slat wall art project last week, I was ready to tackle Jenna's wall art project.  The size she wanted was 2 foot by 4 foot and here is what I learned from working with a larger size project:

1.  Much more wood is required--if you keep a project under 36 inches, you can use a lot of your scrap wood because, let's face it, if the wood size was larger than 3 foot it would not have been placed in the scrap pile.  I ended up having to buy a few boards for the border. (cedar 1/2" x 8'  boards at Lowe's were under $5)

2.  To add texture, I double up slats putting one board on top of another to add some depth but my cuts had to be accurate.

3.  After finishing up the project, I think I should have had more stained boards and less white/turquoise--the ends look a little like a beach awning.  I think Jenna is displaying the project horizontally so that may help.

Cricut Lettering


I love my Cricut Expression 2--it is an older model that I purchased about 8 years ago at Menards where it was significantly less expensive than the same model at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.  Both of my older children are teachers and had seen Cricut cutting machines that would work well for their classroom bulletin boards, vinyl for their doors, windows, etc.  but did not have the space or the funds to purchase.  After a few hints, I purchased a Cricut and they borrow it when needed, or better yet, text me their ideas and I take care of the layout and cutting for them.  I have created stickers for my son's baseball team, lettering for glass blocks, and a variety of other projects.  The newer Cricut cutters have the ability to connect via WIFI which opens up the system to more graphics and lettering.  I purchased a piece of software (Sure Cuts A Lot) that eliminates the need for cartridges by connecting your computer to the Cricut.  I'm not sure if the software is still available but I love being able to use all of my computer fonts, graphics, and logos without the need to purchase expensive cartridges.

Today I recut some lettering for my front door.  I had been using generic vinyl (I often use contact paper which is super cheap and works well) but found that it falls off the metal door when the weather gets cold.  When I was at Michael's this week I noticed that they have outdoor vinyl.....I'm not sure if this is something new or if they have had it forever.   I purchased a roll and recut the vinyl for the door.  For Thanksgiving I'll be changing out the vinyl to a more fall like theme, and of course Christmas decorating will bring yet another vinyl project for the door.  Now that I know about outdoor vinyl, I'll be changing things up a little more often.

For years I have put "Welcome" on our door in different colors with the season but since moving to a new neighborhood, I like putting our last name on the front door so people get to know who we are a little quicker and our friends and family know they have arrived at the correct house in our look alike neighborhood. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sound Wave Wood Art

Who Let the Dogs Out?