Yarn Trees

Yarn Trees For the Holidays



My sister in law, Connie, and I have been getting together once or twice a month to craft and converse.  When both of us retired we started meeting every couple of weeks for lunch and decided to alternate lunch dates with crafting days.  We spend as much time talking as we do crafting but that is half (more like 3/4's) of the fun!  Connie creates beautiful blankets with her crochet talents and even had the patience to teach me how to crochet last winter.

Materials I Gathered Before Starting:
  • Yarn:  I used Bernat Baby Blanket Yarn "Little Sand Castles"
  • Scissors
  • Wood base: Wood rounds from branches,  or lumber squares to use as a wooden base.
  • Stick or Dowel:  Use a stick or dowel as a tree trunk for your project
  • Drill with large & small bits:  I use the large bit to drill the hole in the wooden base and the smallest bit to drill the holes in the tree trunk/stick/dowel
  • White Glue:  Used to attach yarn to the cone and also to glue the stick/dowel to the base.
  • Styrofoam Cone or Cardstock Cone:  I cut up a cardboard roll from gift wrap to form a cone and stapled it to the desired size.  This project would be easier with a styrofoam cone.
  • Ruler:  I like to have a ruler close by if I am cutting card stock or cardboard to make a cone.
  • Embellishments of your choosing:  Star, snowflake, rhinestones, sequins, moss/grass etc.
Getting Started:
Drill a hole in the base for the
tree trunk, then glue & insert the stick/dowel 

Step #1:  Drill a hole in your wood base so that you can glue a dowel or stick into the base.  This will serve as a trunk for your yarn tree.

Step #2:  Starting at the top, spread an inch or so of glue on your cone and begin wrapping the yarn around the cone.  Continue adding an inch of glue at a time and then wrap yarn around the glued area until you have completely covered the cone.


Step#3:  Drill a hole into the cone (you could use your scissors to poke a hole in the cone also) and add some glue before inserting the dowel/stick into the cone.

Step#4:  Finish off your yarn tree by adding embellishments.  I glued artificial moss, and a pine cone on the base and a star to the top.  On a few of the trees I made I added rhinestones around the tree for a little bling. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sound Wave Wood Art

Who Let the Dogs Out?