Cast Iron Grates as Wall Decor

Farm Relic Wall Decor 

Two floor grates are displayed with canvas photos.


The last few weeks I have been moving back into crafting mode.  I have a stained glass project in the works but I don’t know if I will ever get that project done......it has been on my craft table for over a year and I just keep piecing scrap glass together hoping to make a completed window from left over materials.  Hopefully you will see it in a post soon.

My latest project involved coming up with ideas for displaying some relics from the family farm where my husband grew up.  Mike’s brother salvaged some woodwork, doors, windows and other miscellaneous items from the farm and graciously allowed my husband and I to pick out a few items.  My brain (and my Pinterest board) have been in high gear thinking up ways to display the selected items in our home.

Here is the first project that I have completed:

Floor Grate Wall Decor 

The bottom side of the cast iron floor grates were removed with a little help from a large screw driver and some WD-40.  I then lightly sanded the grate to remove any rust, dust, and loose paint.  I have used Rustoleum’s oil rubbed bronze spray paint on other projects and had a can in my garage so that was the color I used to spray the sanded grate.  It took two coats and I finished off with clear coat spray with a matte finish to seal the paint.  A couple of wall hooks later and I put together a display of pictures from the farm anchored by the wall grates.  The cast iron grates  are a little heavy so I used the 25 lb. monkey hooks from Walmart.  I like the Art Deco look of the grates and the way the wall peeks thru.
monkey hooks 

Rustoleum paint in oil rubbed bronze

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sound Wave Wood Art

Who Let the Dogs Out?